Agenda and minutes

Fosse Community Meeting - Thursday, 4 September 2014 6:00 pm

Venue: Fosse Library, Mantle Road, Leicester LE3 5HG

Contact: Elaine Baker, tel: 0116 454 6355 (ext 37 6355) 

No. Item



The Chair will introduce those present and make any necessary announcements.


The Chair and any other Councillors who are present will make any declarations as required by the Councillors’ Code of Conduct.


Councillor Cassidy, in the Chair, welcomed everyone to the meeting.  Councillor Waddington was also present.


No interests in the matters to be discussed were declared.


ACTION LOG pdf icon PDF 64 KB

The Action Log from the meeting held on 4 June 2014 is attached for information and discussion


The Action Log of the previous meeting, held on 4 June 2014, was confirmed as a correct record.



Officers will be at the meeting to provide an update on issues such as de-cluttering the A50 corridor, parking issues in Tudor Road and the Empire pub development.




David Beale (Development Manager; Planning, Transportation and Economic Development) updated the meeting on the regeneration projects underway and on those proposed within the Ward.


He confirmed that discussions were being held with landowners of key sites to ensure that a comprehensive approach to regeneration could be achieved, particularly in respect of the Waterside area.


With regard to specific site updates, it was reported that the artistic photographic hoardings removed from Jubilee Square would be reused in the Ward and that the Council’s Parks Services were to undertake tidying work around sites in consultation with Highways officers, including the removal of Buddleia plants.  Gravel resin finishes were to be installed at the ‘desire line’ paths at the churchyard of All Saints, to ensure a suitable surface before the winter months.


The regeneration was supported by the Government’s recent announcement that grant funding would be made available.  Initial comments were sought on the priority areas of mixed use development.  The consultation process would involve two stages with the initial public consultation on plans for the area being undertaken during October.


The meeting welcomed the progress made with the regeneration initiatives and community representatives expressed their wish to be involved in the public consultation process.  It was noted that an informal launch, prior to the consultation process, would be held to display initial plans and suggestions for future schemes and projects.




Ed Kocik and Chris Middleton (Transport Development and Operations) presented details of residents’ parking schemes requested in the Ward.


It was reported that experimental schemes were also being undertaken in Westcotes and Western park Wards.


Following initial investigation and analysis, it had been proposed that the most suitable area for a scheme would be the Tudor Road area, with design and implementation being undertaken following the completion of the Westcotes and Western park schemes.  A full consultation with residents and commercial properties in the area would be undertaken at the appropriate time.


In respect of 20 mph speed limits it was reported that schemes had been agreed at the Fosse Road Primary School and the Somerset Road/Avebury Avenue area.  Plans showing the extent of the 20 mph schemes were displayed.




The Chair referred to the recent planning decision to approve a supermarket use at the site of the former Empire Public House.  Ward Councillors had addressed the meeting of the Planning and Development Control Committee concerning the proposed use.  Mr Adrian Ablett (the Can Man) had also addressed the meeting expressing his concerns over the proposed use.  Mr Ablett was in attendance and was thanked by Councillors and community representatives for attending the Committee meeting and making a public address.


It was reported that within the approval the need for an agreed ‘local jobs plan’ together with a ‘transport plan’ had been imposed as two of the conditions.  Ward Councillors had requested that details of the transport plan be forwarded to them to allow their input on any proposed junction and road traffic improvements.  ...  view the full minutes text for item 15.



An update will be given on progress with the Council’s Transforming Neighbourhood Services initiative.


Mike Broad (Neighbourhood Development Manager, Culture and Neighbourhood Servicers) updated the meeting concerning the Transforming Neighbourhoods Review.


It was noted that within the Fosse Ward, the Newfoundpool Neighbourhood Centre, Fosse Neighbourhood Centre and the Woodgate Resource Centre were involved in the review process.  The review allowed Community Organisations and Groups to put in expressions of interest to run buildings.  It was clarified that process only applied to Newfoundpool, and that Woodgate Resource Centre and Fosse were unaffected by the process.


In response to a question, the proposal to move the music library to the Fosse Library on a temporary basis was clarified and it was noted that the effect on existing users would be minimal.


In concluding the item, it was noted that the review was being debated at the Neighbourhood Involvement and Community Services Scrutiny Commission and that regular updates would be made available.




Representatives of the Youth Service will provide an update on the Youth Taster Week and youth development in the Fosse Ward.


Laura Burt (Community Engagement Officer; Culture and Neighbourhood Servicers) updated the meeting concerning the activities held as part of Fosse Youth week.


It was reported that following initial contact with schools in the Ward, Youth Services Officers had been approached to assist in organising taster sessions for after school activities.  The involvement of the De Montfort University’s Square Mile Project, Fosse Arts Group, and StreetVibe was recognised in the success of the events and it was noted that the involvement of various other community partners had led at a wide range of activities being offered to younger people in the Ward, other than the traditional after-school sports clubs.  The future joint working initiatives to ensure that activities could be maintained through the multi-agency approach were confirmed.


In response to questions it was reported that youth participation had been significant and that most of the attendees were in the age range from 11 to 18 years. Opportunities to further publicise and promote the activities in conjunction with the Youth Service were being explored, to ensure that future attendance would also remain at a significant level.




The City Warden will give an update on issues in the Ward.


Prior to the discussion of the item the Ward Councillors presented a Certificate of Achievement to Mr Adrian Ablett (The Can Man) in recognition of his efforts in collecting cans for recycling throughout the Ward and wider area of the city.


Richard Sutton (City Warden) updated the meeting on the environmental and enforcement activities undertaken in the Ward.


He made particular reference to a recent meeting at Newfoundpool Neighbourhood Centre concerning various issues and including discussions regarding fly-tipping and alley gates. It was noted that a follow-up meeting was being convened to finalise arrangements and options for future funding that would ensure that alley gates could be provided at more locations. 


It was reported that joint working with Mr Ablett had been welcomed and the issues discussed during patchwalks were noted, it was further noted that one patchwalk had recently involved the attendance of Liz Kendall MP.


In response to questions, it was clarified that overfilled bins would not be collected or emptied.  That this had led to some problems with general waste being left on-street.


In concluding the discussion, residents and community representatives put forward suggestions of areas that they considered were in need of investigation, including a fly-tip on Bonchurch Street car park.



PC Andy Goadby will be at the meeting to provide an update on police issues in the Ward


PC Andy Goadby reported on crime statistics for the Ward and updated the meeting on the current structure of policing, with five PCSOs working with one Police Constable on regular beats.


The initiative to introduce ‘problem solving plans’ to combat crime in the ward was described and it was noted that Anti-Social behaviour reports had led to increased patrols being undertaken, together with increased use of CCTV footage and joint working with housing providers and other organisations under a multi-agency approach.  It was also reported that a recent consultation day event organised in conjunction with the De Montfort University’s Square Mile Project had resulted in around fifty attendees discussing problems in the area, together with attendance from various agencies in the Ward.


The Schools Safety Initiative was continuing with talks being held at Fosse Primary and Inglehurst Junior schools.


In respect of crimes relating to licensing legislation, it was reported that several shops in the Ward had been raided and approximately 6000 packets of illicit cigarettes had been confiscated.


The Police had expressed concerns at the deterioration of some factory buildings in the Ward and asked the meeting to note that the disrepair of those buildings led to vandalism and trespass.


It was noted that the anti-burglary activities were continuing with residents being encouraged to ensure that their properties were kept secure. 


In response to a question it was noted that “no cold-calling” signs could be provided on request.  In response to further questions it was accepted that the need to ensure that the public’s anonymity was maintained when reporting incidents was necessary.  It was reported by a member of the public that a marked police car was often used to visit houses and record details where reports were made against neighbouring properties.  This had caused concern and had led to a reluctance in reporting incidents, due to the likely retaliation and recrimination.  It was stated that the Crimestoppers number was the most appropriate way to report incidents anonymously.




Councillors are reminded that under the Council’s Code of Conduct they should declare any interest they may have in budget applications


a)    An update will be given on the Ward Community budget; and


b)    A list of grant applications submitted for consideration at this meeting is attached.


The following applications for funding were received and determined as indicated:

Applicants in attendance were asked to provide a brief summary of their application.


i)          Halloween Party




ii)         The Bridge Homelessness to Hope Project


SUPPORTED IN PRINCIPLE, dependant on evidence being received from the applicants to confirm that there would be a benefit to the Ward, it being noted that no representatives of the Project were in attendance.


iii)        Woodgate Residents Association Music Development Programme




iv)        Restorative Justice Project


SUPPORTED IN PRINCIPLE, dependant on evidence being received from the applicants to clarify the numbers of persons within the ward who would confirm their expression of interest to undertake the training as proposed.


v)         Christians Against Poverty – Emergency Fund




vi)        LCC Parks Services; Waterside Enhancement






There were no items of Other Business.




The meeting closed at 7.45 pm.