Agenda and minutes

Westcotes Community Meeting - Tuesday, 12 September 2017 7:00 pm

Venue: East West Community Project, Wilberforce Road

Contact: Anita Clarke, Community Engagement Officer, (Tel: 0116 454 6576 (Email:  Jason Tyler, Democratic Support Officer, (Tel: 0116 454 6359) (Email:

No. Item



The Chair will introduce those present and make any necessary announcements.


The Chair and any other Councillors who are present will make any declarations as required by the Councillors’ Code of Conduct.


Councillor Russell in the Chair.

Everyone welcomed and introductions given.

No interests were declared.

Apologies for absence were received from Tony Redmond.


ACTION LOG pdf icon PDF 87 KB

The Action Log of the meeting held on 9 May 2017 is attached for information and discussion.


Agreed as correct.

All to note the following amendments (new wording in italics):

·      Item 49, “Action Log” – first line of section on Braunstone Gate – Places for People Project amended to read “Further to the principles proposals …”

·      Item 52, “Police Issues Update” – last line of second paragraph amended to refer to fixings, (not “fixing s”)

·      Item 53, “City Warden” – third line of second paragraph amended to read “… continued undertaken with local businesses …”

·      Item 54, “Ward Community Budget” – first line of first paragraph amended to read “… reported that 3 bids …”

All to note that a public inquiry is to be held in relation to use of the garages/lock-ups in Westcotes Drive. (Item 51, “Planning and Development Matters”)



An update will be given on issues concerning Bede Park.



All to note:

·      Repairs to rotting boards that had made the route up the large slide in Bede Park unsafe had been due to be completed before the summer holidays.  However, extensive decay at the top of the main tower had been discovered at the end of July during the installation of a new unit.  Caps had come off the tops of four support posts, allowing water to get inside them.

·      The viable options for repairing the damage were to replace the four support posts or, it this was not possible, to take out the main tower and re-attach the slide to the smaller unit.

·      Costs for each option had been requested, but the company had not provided them, despite regular reminders. Section 106 funding was available for the Ward from which it was anticipated costs could be met.

·      A roundabout had now been installed in the park.

·      A successful programme of activities for children had been held in Bede Park over the summer.  It was hoped that a similar programme could be held during schools’ autumn half term holiday.

·      A problem had been experienced with someone playing loud music in the park over the summer.  This had been resolved by the Police.



1)     When full information is available on the options available for how to repair the large slide in Bede Park, and their respective costs, are available, the Ward & Community Engagement Officer / Democratic Support Officer to convene a special Westcotes Community Meeting to consider these.  Apart from an update from the Police, (see item 6 below), this to be a single item meeting and the UK agent for the company supplying the slide to be asked to attend.

2)     When a decision has been made on how the large slide in Bede Park is to be repaired / replaced, a large banner-type sign to be erected on the fence around the slide advising that it is being repaired / replaced for health and safety reasons and the date on which it will be reopened.



An update on planning and development issues in the Westcotes Ward not covered elsewhere on the agenda will be given at the meeting.


All to note:

·           An Article 4 Direction had been agreed, stopping developers converting properties to houses in multiple occupation.  As a result, developers were now applying to convert properties in to very small flats and bedsits.

·           A planning application to convert a property on Ivy Road from a three-bedroom house to two one-bed flats had been unsuccessfully opposed.

·           An application to convert the property at 22 Daneshill Road to six bedsits and one-bedroom flats would be considered at the Council’s Planning and Development Control Committee on 20 September 2017.  The officer recommendation was for this to be approved.

·           Consultation was underway on the revised Leicester Local Plan.  Officers had proposed a change of policy to say that hostels could be established in the Ward, provided there were no more than three on street, but the Ward Councillors had rejected this. At present, there was nothing in the Plan to stop developers converting properties in to flats and bedsits, as officers said that they needed evidence of the impact of this in order to add a policy to the Plan.  The consultation would close on 31 October 2017.

·           Sustrans was investigating whether the Kenning site under the arches of the former railway bridge could be used as part of a proposal to build out across the river and install landscaping.

·           Sustrans hoped to work with two graduate interns to create visualisations of alternative uses for the site owned by Jamie Lewis in Braunstone Gate that currently was surrounded by hoardings;

·           It appeared that an application would be made to convert Bradgate House, Stretton Road to apartments with one, two and three bedrooms.


Ward Councillors to:

a)     pass on residents’ concerns about reduced water pressure in Roman Street following recent property conversions;

b)     Liaise with Waste Management officers to look at whether the site on Braunstone Gate owned by Jamie Lewis is being used as a waste transfer station;

c)     Liaise with the City Warden to see if it is possible for the hoardings round the site referred to under b) to be removed; and

d)     Liaise with Planning Officers to consider whether action can be taken about the site referred to under b) under Section 215 of the Town and Country Planning Act 1990, as this gives Council’s  powers to take steps requiring land to be cleaned up when its condition adversely affects the amenity of the area.



The City Warden will give an update on issues in the Westcotes Ward.

Additional documents:


All to note the update from the City Warden, attached.

Ward Councillors to speak to the City Warden about problems experienced by a resident in Roman Street with food and animal waste being thrown in to their garden and noise from a property in Western Road.

City Warden to visit the Istanbul restaurant, Narborough Road regarding problems with vehicles parking on the junction of Narborough Road and Shaftesbury Road.

Ward & Community Engagement Officer to liaise with the Ward Councillors and relevant officers to prepare an application for a Ward Community Grant for the installation of a cycle rack on the junction of Narborough Road and Shaftesbury Road to prevent pavement parking there.  Highways Officers to meet the Ward Councillors on site to discuss the best location for a cycle rack.

Environmental Health Officers to check that the emissions from the Istanbul restaurant on Narborough Road are within permitted levels, particularly in the early evening.



Officers from Leicestershire Police will be at the meeting to provide an update on police issues in Westcotes Ward.


As no Police representatives were at this meeting, the Police to be asked to provide a written update for the special meeting being arranged, (see item 3 above).  Police officers also to be asked to attend that meeting to answer questions.

All to note that, although the Police were considering selling the Police Station on Hinckley Road, they planned to relocate to smaller building behind the current Police Station and operate the same opening hours as at present.



Councillors are reminded that under the Council’s Code of Conduct they should declare any interest they may have in budget applications


An update will be given on the Ward Community Budget.



All to note the grant applications supported, (details attached).

Residents and local groups encouraged to apply for grant funding.




a)     Update from Sustrans


All to note:

·           Suggestions for improvements to Braunstone Gate had been submitted to the Council.  These included full design work.  Costings were being done.

·           The Peoples Health Trust would continue to provide funding, which enabled a worker to be employed three days per week on the Braunstone Gate Places for People Project.

·           A visioning event for the Braunstone Gate Places for People Project had been held recently.

·           Christmas tree brackets would be installed shortly on business premises requiring them.


b)   Anti-Social Behaviour by University Students


All to note that, if problems were being caused by its students, De Montfort University would censure the households concerned.  There was an e-mail address via which problems could be reported to the University.


c)    I Love Leicester App


All to note that, following reports that the I Love Leicester app was incorrectly stating that issues had been resolved, completed cases had been reassessed and it had been found that some had not been completed as indicated.  More monitoring was now being undertaken.


d)   Date of Next Meetings


All to note that:

·           The next ordinary meeting would be held on Tuesday 16 January 2018.

·           The date of the special meeting, (see item 3 above), would be circulated in due course.




The meeting closed at 8.39 pm