Venue: St Patricks Church Hall, 100 Beaumont Leys Lane, Leicester LE4 2BD
Contact: Randeep Singh Mattu, Community Engagement Officer Tel: 0116 4541835 (Email: Randeep.Mattu@leicester.gov.uk) Anita James, Democratic Support Officer Tel: 0116 454 6358 (Email: Anita.James2@leicester.gov.uk)
INTRODUCTIONS AND APOLOGIES
Councillors will elect a Chair for the meeting.
The Chair will introduce those present and make any necessary announcements.
The Chair and any other Councillors who are present will make any declarations as required by the Councillors’ Code of Conduct.
Councillor Riyait – Chair for the meeting, welcomed everyone to the meeting and led introductions.
Apologies were received from Councillor Byrne and Marie Murray, District Housing Manager.
There were no declarations of interest.
The Action Log of the meeting held on 4th July 2016, is attached and Members will be asked to confirm it as an accurate record.
Agreed as an accurate record.
Councillors will provide an update on ward matters.
All to note:
· Parking/Traffic issues around Alderman Richard Hallam primary school were being addressed. Police had been working closely with the school to produce an action plan which included:
o Leaflets given to each child to take home for parents,
o Morning and afternoon visits by police to move traffic on and enforce safer parking
o Issuing Fixed Penalty Notices where appropriate
o Road Safety talks with all children and teachers
o Holding a Road Safety Competition in the school to design a leaflet
o Other events planned to educate people on parking issues
It was suggested that plastic bollards/cones be installed outside the school to prevent parking – the police informed this was something that had been raised with the school and was for them to decide and implement.
· There were concerns with parking in a number of areas of the ward including mis-use of one way systems, in particular: at the corners of Milverton Avenue with Avebury Avenue, Norwich Road, Dersingham Road.
ACTION: Highways to investigate possibility of double yellow lines at the corners of the above roads.
· Wolsey House Primary School and Belgrave St Peters School had both achieved “Good” ratings from Ofsted which was fantastic news for the ward.
· Concerns about speeding traffic on Heacham Drive and surrounding roads.
ACTION: Councillors to pursue traffic calming measures for Heacham Drive.
LOCAL POLICING UPDATE
Leicestershire Police will be at the meeting to provide an update on local policing issues in the Ward.
Sgt Strong gave an update on local policing issues in the area since the last meeting.
· Operations were ongoing to target drug issues and anti-social behaviour around Drummond Road and Robert Hall Street.
· Never Too Late project – had now seen 60 young people going through the project and they were approaching the first 6 month incentive point. The police were compiling data and it was hoped this would show the project’s success enabling it to continue.
· Speeding reports – Heacham Drive, Halifax Drive – police were hoping to work with the council’s highways team to set up signage to monitor traffic and speed levels.
· 2 brothels had been identified in the ward and steps were being taken to evict the occupants and take action as soon as possible.
· Bewcastle Grove – reports of drugs and anti-social behaviour were continuing to be tackled, police were working with the council to improve safety around the Tudor Centre.
ACTION: Councillors to chase progress with safety improvements needed at the Tudor Centre, in particular with exterior lighting.
ACTION: Residents encouraged to report all incidents to police using Crimestoppers, 101 or at local beat surgeries.
The City Warden will be present to give an update on issues in the Ward.
Charlotte Glover, City Warden provided a short update:
· Area behind Burnham Drive shops – arrangements being made to clear land and CW would contact with land owners
· Belgrave Boulevard Shops/KFC – arrangements being made to clear area
· Dog Fouling – reports had increased, cleansing services were cleaning as soon as possible. City Wardens were waiting for a new decision on penalty powers.
ACTION: City Warden to arrange yellow stencils around Dersingham Road, Sheringham Road, Burnham Drive, Norwich Road.
· Concerns were raised in relation to bins on streets around Kingsthorpe Close.
ACTION: City Warden to liaise with housing officer/resident for details and investigate further.
· Concerns were raised that issues with Wesley Street were ongoing.
ACTION: City Warden to monitor situation.
An information leaflet was made available for circulation (as attached).
NEIGHBOURHOOD HOUSING UPDATE
A Leicester City Council Housing Officer will provide an update on housing issues in the Ward.
Vanshree Raja, Team Leader Mowmacre Housing Office gave a brief update on housing matters relating to the Abbey Ward.
All to note:
· The Repairs service was now a separate service to Housing following a recent review and requests for housing repairs had to be reported using the online process on the council’s website where full information about housing repairs was also available.
· With effect from 16 January 2017 the neighbourhood housing services currently based at Jersey Road, Mowmacre Hill would close and move to Beaumont Leys Library following its refurbishment, this would provide more services under one roof including a number of self-service facilities.
An officer from the Home Maintenance, Security & Safety, and Housing Team – Leicester City Council will attend to provide details of the Handyman Service.
Tom Smith, Supervisor, Handyperson Services informed the meeting about the services available.
General maintenance and minor repair work could be carried out by council employees and this service was now available to everyone living in the city who qualified e.g. a disabled person, persons over 60 years, single parents and low income families, this included those living in private homes.
Works that could be done included:
· Home maintenance
o Window/door repairs
· Security Work
o Door chains
o Window/door locks
o Keysafe boxes
An information leaflet was circulated (as attached) and further information was available on the council’s website.
WARD COMMUNITY BUDGET
Councillors are reminded that under the Council’s Code of Conduct they should declare any interest they may have in budget applications.
An update will be given on the Ward Community Budget.
Recipients of previous ward funding will be invited to feedback to the meeting.
To note that the following applications had been considered since the last meeting:
Mowmacre Hill Bowls Club – Trip to Bowls Festival in Skegness, amount requested £600. Supported in full.
Mowmacre Young People’s Play & Development Assoc. – Community bonfire, amount requested £1,500. Supported in full.
Welcome Club – Trip to Lincoln German Market, amount requested £620. Supported in full.
Leicestershire Police – BSL development for PC, amount requested £425. Supported in full.
Friday Lunch Bunch – Community luncheon, amount requested £500. Supported in full.
The Banks Social Fund – Christmas Party for residents of the Banks, amount requested £500. Supported to the amount of £300.
TO NOTE: the community budget balance as at 14/11/16 stood at £10290, to be spent by 31 March 2017.
Applicants were reminded that all applications should be submitted online and those for £500 or less would continue to be fast tracked.
ANY OTHER BUSINESS
AOB 1 Land behind Swithland Avenue
A resident referred to the plot of land behind Swithland Avenue that was previously allotments and asked what was to happen to that land now. It was reported that there were proposals for the area which included some housing development and to increase the flood defence.
ACTION: Councillors to investigate and confirm plans for area.
DATE OF NEXT MEETING
To note that the next meeting will take place on: Monday 20th March 2017 at 6pm in the Tudor Centre, Bewcastle Grove, Leicester, LE4 2JU.
To note the next meeting on Monday 20th March 2017 at 6pm in the Tudor Centre, Bewcastle Grove, Leicester LE4 2JU.
There being no further business the meeting closed at 7.00pm.