Agenda and minutes

Abbey Community Meeting - Monday, 20 March 2017 6:00 pm

Venue: The Tudor Centre, Bewcastle Grove, Mowmacre Hill, Leicester LE4 2JU

Contact: Punum Patel, Community Engagement Officer Tel: 0116 4546575 (Email:  Anita James, Democratic Support Officer Tel: 0116 454 6358 (Email:


No. Item



Additional documents:


Councillor Byrne – Chair for the meeting led introductions and welcomed everyone to the meeting.


There were no apologies for absence.


There were no declarations of interest.



The Action Log of the meeting held on 14 November 2016 is attached and Members will be asked to confirm it as an accurate record.


Additional documents:


The action log of 14 November 2016 was agreed as an accurate record.



Councillors will provide an update on ward matters.

Additional documents:


All to note:

·       There had been some incidents of ASB around the Tudor Centre, this had been reported and were being addressed

·       Jersey Road housing office was now closed and Mowmacre Hill housing services relocated to the newly refurbished Beaumont Leys Library.

·       Parking issues around Alderman Richard Hallam primary school were continuing to be addressed including:

o   A recent Patchwalk with the Head of Highways accompanied by the Assistant City Mayor for Neighbourhoods to identify specific issues

o   Agreed double yellow lines and other random measures to aid safety and promote proper parking

·       The council had agreed to install an enforcement camera to check traffic using Thurcaston Road bridge, this camera would have automatic vehicle registration recognition

·       Changes to the yellow lines around Westley Street to aid better parking and traffic flow.

·       Blackbird Fields/Somerset Avenue – the planning application for 300+ homes had been approved, councillors remained in talks with developers to address concerns about the impact on the local area.

·       20mph zones continued to be rolled out across the city – Somerset Avenue was due to be implemented

·       The Abbey Ward area had been earmarked for a number of developments including waterside and museums in the area.



Leicestershire Police will be at the meeting to provide an update on local policing issues in the Ward.

Additional documents:


Sgt Matt Blackburn gave an update on local policing issues in the ward since the last meeting.

·       Operations continued to identify and target drug issues around the Drummond Road area, police were working with the council and LASBU services to identify tenants involved and move towards evictions.

·       Tudor centre – ASB issues had been targeted and the use of a 48hr dispersal order had seen a significant reduction in incidents.

·       Never Too Late project – the police were now reviewing the effectiveness of the project.

·       Young education project aimed at supporting 18-24 year olds to get into work, volunteering or education. The project offered a 16 week course focusing on improving behaviour to reach the above aims.

·       Local school talks had been taking place to raise awareness of knife crimes, targeting Yrs 5 and 6 (primary schools) and Yrs 7 and 8 (secondary schools).

·       Keep Safe Club – this was an adapted 2 hr police presentation to target and raise awareness of stranger danger, in particular for younger children, which would be delivered in schools across the ward.

·       Speeding reports from the last meeting re Heacham Drive had been investigated, a speed observation carried out over 2 days in January 2017 found that the average vehicle speed was 28mph so below the 30mph limit.


Lord Willy Bach Police and Crime Commissioner would be visiting the Beaumont Leys Shopping Centre on Weds 22 March 2017.


Councillor Byrne referred to the joint fun day and whether it would be repeated at some point in the future. It was acknowledged that the fun day at the Tudor Centre had been successful and the police could look to repeat something similar in future.


Residents were encouraged to report all incidents including concerns about drug or criminal activity in the area to police.



The City Warden will give an update on issues in the Ward.

Additional documents:


Charlotte Glover, City Warden provided a short update:

·       Patchwalk with housing officers undertaken to address bins on streets.

·       Dog fouling – stencils were being done across the ward – people were encouraged to report incidents/hotspots.

Action: areas of concern to be investigated re dog fouling – Bewcastle Grove, outside shop frontages, Border Drive and Morpeth Avenue

·       Fly tipping – there had been an increase around Milford Close, 25 bags of contaminated waste had been identified leading to a prosecution.

·       “A” boards along Abbey Lane were being targeted.

Action: CW to liaise with McDonalds regarding littering issue affecting school next door.




A local Housing Officer will provide an update on housing issues in the Ward.

Additional documents:


Vanshree Raja gave a brief update on housing related matters in the ward.


It was noted that since the closure of Jersey Road housing office the service had relocated to the Beaumont Leys Library where service included:

·       Counter opening hours Mon – Thurs 9am to 4.30pm, Fri 9am to 4pm

·       3 housing officers and a team manager for the Abbey ward

·       Office based interviews

·       Public phone line to access any council services in the library and also at the Tudor Centre.

·       Computers for public to log on and access council services

·       A 1 hour housing officer service available at the Tudor Centre every Monday 9am to 10am – officers agreed to take back comments to promote this service better in the local vicinity.

·       Officers available for home visits.


Marie Murray was introduced to the meeting as the District Manager for housing and responsibility for 3 gypsy/traveller sites in the City.


Ian Craig was also introduced to the meeting as Head of Service Housing with responsibility for repairs across the city.


Residents were encouraged to report any housing related issues to the service to deal with using the options outlined above.



An officer from Highways and Traffic will be present to give an update on Highways issues in the ward.

Additional documents:


Mark Govan gave a brief update on Highways issues in the ward.


It was noted that:

·       A programme to improve road safety and enforcement of parking issues around schools was being undertaken at schools across the ward

·       The planning department were in discussions relating to the 300+ housing development on Blackbird Playing Fields for section 106 funding agreement

·       A traffic restriction order to introduce yellow lines along Parker Drive

·       Possibility of Abbey Lane speed limit review from 40mph to 30mph along the stretch from Redhill Way to Abbey Road

·       Halifax Drive looking to introduce 20mph zone going from Marwood Road junction down to Beaumont Leys Lane

·       Wesley Street area – aware of ongoing issues,

·       Schools – a variety of signs were to be put up including dedicated safety zones



Concerns were raised about parking on Anstey Lane despite installation of bollards. Mark agreed to reinvestigate and monitor Anstey Lane situation.


Concerns were also raised about the road surface of Halifax Drive and the dangers of crossing at Marwood Road junction which had Belisha beacons but no zebra crossing lines. Highways were aware and considering this issue.




Councillors are reminded that under the Council’s Code of Conduct they should declare any interest they may have in budget applications.


An update will be given on the Ward Community Budget.

Additional documents:


Recipients of previous ward funding briefly addressed the meeting:


Neighbourhood Watch were putting money received from ward funding towards co-ordinating and promoting groups across the Abbey and Beaumont Leys ward.


Abbey Pumping Station funding was being put towards development and improvement of the Abbey Pumping Station. A number of events were planned in the near future including:

·       1st April – Model Railway day

·       18th April – Children’s events for Easter

·       29th April – Blue Light Day

·       15th June – Antiques Roadshow filming.


To Note:

Budget Allocation 2016/17: £18050

Total awarded to date: £18010

Total balance remaining 20/3/17: £39.80


Applications considered prior to the meeting:

Soft Touch Arts (AF182180) – UpSTart project for young people aged 10-25yrs. Application £1500 – Grant of £1500 Supported.


Chand Community Centre (AF196515) – Purchase of a treadmill. Application £500 – NOT Supported.


Belgrave Rugby Club (AF196865) – Changing room refurbishment. Application £1000 – Grant of £1000 Supported.


All Nations Church Leicester (AF201236) – Stairlift installation. Application £500 – Grant of £500 Supported.


Abbey Ward Branch (AF208057) – Tea Party for elderly and Children’s Spring Event. Application £500 – Grant of £500 Supported.


Leicester Maher Community Association (AF208103) – Holi Celebration event. Application £450 – Grant of £450 Supported.


Little Tykes Playgroup (AF210172) – Day trip to Skegness for children from deprived backgrounds. Application £400 – Grant of £400 Supported.


Tuesday Social Bingo (AF210179) – Day trip to Skegness for elderly group. Application £400 – Grant of £400 Supported.


Sanatan Community Centre (AF210818) – Spring Festival Celebration. Application £500 – Grant of £500 Supported.


Mowmacre Young People’s Play and Development Association (AF210901) – Spring Playscheme. Application £2000 – Grant of £2000 Supported.


Battle Tested Kickboxing Club (AF211691) – to support development of club activities for local people. Application £3000 – Grant of £3000 Supported.


Potential applicants were reminded that all applications must now be made online.




Additional documents:





Councillors will elect a Chair for the meeting.


The Chair will introduce those present and make any necessary announcements.


The Chair and any other Councillors who are present will make any declarations as required by the Councillors’ Code of Conduct.

Additional documents:


The meeting closed at 6.55pm