Agenda and minutes

Abbey Community Meeting - Monday, 30 October 2017 6:00 pm

Venue: St Patricks Church Centre, 100 Beaumont Leys Lane, Leicester LE4 2BD

Contact: Punum Patel, Community Engagement Officer Tel: 0116 4546575 (Email:  Anita James, Democratic Support Officer Tel: 0116 454 6358 (Email:

No. Item



Councillors will elect a Chair for the meeting.


The Chair will introduce those present and make any necessary announcements.


The Chair and any other Councillors who are present will make any declarations as required by the Councillors’ Code of Conduct.


Councillor Byrne, Chair for the meeting led introductions and welcomed everyone to the meeting.


There were no declarations of interest.




Apologies were received from K Chantrill.



The Action Log of the meeting held on 17 July 2017 is attached and Members will be asked to confirm it as an accurate record.



The action log of 17th July 2017 was agreed as an accurate record.



Councillors will provide an update on ward matters.


Councillors reported that:

·       Efforts were continuing to address residents’ complaints about smells emitting from Cofresh and the company had now been served with an abatement notice.

·       An early Halloween children’s party had been held at the Tudor Centre on Friday 13 October and 35 local children had attended.

·       A children’s Christmas Party had been arranged to be held in the Tudor Centre on 8th December 2017 at 3.30pm.

·       A Christmas Lunch for OAP’s had been organised to be held in the Tudor Centre on 15th December 2017



Leicestershire Police will be at the meeting to provide an update on local policing issues in the Ward.


Sgt Matt Blackburn gave a brief update of local policing matters across the Abbey Ward.


It was noted that:

·       There had been an increase in the number of reports of incidents happening around Abbey Meadows mostly after 11pm and police would be targeting resources to increases patrols in that area,

·       Tudor Centre the number of ASB incidents had reduced and the people involved had been identified and would be dealt with appropriately. Police would continue to liaise with staff at the centre and there had been a request to install CCTV.

·       Anstey Lane nuisance parking had been reported.

·       Wheatman Road  - police were working with housing officers to tackle ASB issues.

·       Crime statistics showed a spiked increase in Burglaries with 21 offences during September which was almost double the previous month.

·       Celebrate Safely Campaign would be running in conjunction with the Fire Service delivering talks at local schools and arranging community safety events. There would also be increased patrols by the police and fire service to prevent bonfires being set in the run up to Bonfire Night.


A resident referred to the increase in crime figures for the ward which had been increasing since December 2016 and asked if this was being impacted on by cuts within the police force? Sgt Blackburn responded that although there was some potential impact of the cuts there were more reports being made and online reporting had been introduced which again had increased the number of reports being made.



The City Warden Service will give an update on issues in the Ward.


Charlotte Glover City Warden provided a brief update on issues across the Abbey ward and circulated a leaflet updating on progress and giving information on Household Waste Recycling Centres (attached).


The City Warden agreed to:

·       Provide details to Councillor Riyait of steps taken so far to tackle vehicle sales

·       Investigate and liaise with housing officers about the rubbish between fence gap and houses at rear of Care Home on Beaumont Leys Lane.

·       Investigate complaint of rotting mattress being left on driveway on Dersingham Drive.



A local Neighbourhood Housing Officer will provide an update on housing issues in the Ward.


Marie Murray, District Manager, Housing gave a brief update on housing related matters noting that projects were ongoing to: improve environmental areas in residential parts, install replacement windows and doors and continue with internal communal painting.


Housing officers continued to undertake Patchwalks as requested.


Residents were reminded that the Housing services were separate to the Repairs service and issues should be reported separately to them.


Concerns were expressed that there was a focus on reporting all things online and that a lot of people struggled to access online services and relied on being able to make a phone call, there was also the issue of people who were housebound or disabled who could not use a computer. Residents were reminded that there was still a customer service main number that could divert calls to specific services and help was available in libraries to access computers.




An officer from the Highways and Traffic Management team will provide an update on Highways matters in the ward.


Robert Bateman from Highways provide a brief update on Highways issues across the ward:

·       Parker Drive speed indicator was not economically viable to be repaired and so it had been suggested to remove and replace it.

RB agreed to chase officers as this had still not been replaced.

·       Concerns about bus stop flags had been passed on but no response received to date.

·       Blackbird Playing Fields planning application had been approved and works started, issues with construction traffic had been addressed.

·       20mph zones ongoing programme was being rolled out across the city.

·       Speed limit review of Abbey Lane had been put back.

·       Parking issues along Anstey Lane continued – ticketing exercises would continue and it was noted that more enforcement officers were being recruited to deal with such issues across the city.

·       Thurcaston Road Bridge enforcement camera was working well and had made a significant impact on the traffic using it.

·       Halifax Drive to Beaumont Leys Lane – proposal to install pedestrian crossing refuges to slow down the traffic. RB agreed to arrange for plans to be shared with Councillors.


A number of concerns were raised by those present which included:

·       The speed bumps on Halifax Drive down towards the Redhill Way were having little impact as cars continued to go very fast.

·       Motor bikes were a big issue and Cotley Road was being used as a rat run

·       There was increased congestion along Abbey Lane especially since there were now 2 large supermarkets

·       The junction and traffic lights on Abbey Lane/Blackbird Road were dangerous, particularly the right turn which was a separate light but had a very short time and no more than 2 vehicles could get through at a time increasing congestion at peak times.

·       Heacham Dr continues to attract fast drivers and there were issues of parking on corners around Dersingham Road and Norwich Road. – other danger spots were Babingley Drive, Burnham Drive.

RB agreed to look into the concerns raised and provide feedback to the next meeting.



Councillors are reminded that under the Council’s Code of Conduct they should declare any interest they may have in budget applications.


An update will be given on the Ward Community Budget. Recipients of previous ward funding will be invited to give feedback on their projects and use of the funds.



The Community Engagement Officer informed the meeting that Councillor had considered 6 applications and agreed to support 3 of those as follows:


·       Little Tykes Playgroup - £1000 supported

·       Friends of Belgrave Cemetery - £895 supported

·       Tea Dance & Social - £90 supported.


Potential applicants were reminded that all applications must now be made online and the community engagement officer could be contacted to assist with completion of forms.


The balance for the next cycle of bids was £12600 and the closing date for bids over £500 would be 31 January 2018.



The next meeting will take place on Monday 5th February 2018 at 6pm at the Tudor Centre, Bewcastle Grove, Mowmacre Hill, Leicester.


The date of the next meeting was noted: Monday 5th February 2018 at 6pm at the Tudor Centre, Bewcastle Grove, Leicester.




There being no further business the meeting closed at 7.10pm.