Agenda and minutes

Thurncourt Community Meeting - Monday, 14 November 2016 6:30 pm

Venue: Thurnby Lodge Youth and Community Centre, Thurncourt Road, Leicester LE5 2NG

Contact: Laura Burt, Ward Community Engagement Officer (tel: 0116 454 1876) (email:  Ayleena Thomas, Democratic Support Officer (tel: (0116) 454 6369) (email:

No. Item



The Chair will introduce those present and make any necessary announcements.


The Chair and any other Councillors who are present will make any declarations as required by the Councillors’ Code of Conduct.


Councillor Aldred, as Chair welcomed everyone to the meeting and led introductions.


At the invitation of the Chair, the Rev Paul Savage said a short prayer in memory of Allan Gratrix, recently departed. Councillors and members of the community paid tribute to Mr Gratrix and a suggestion was made that either the Thurnby Lodge Community Centre or its hall should be renamed the Allan Gratrix Memorial Building or Hall as an acknowledgement of his work and commitment in the community.


Action: For the Ward Councillors to seek consideration of this suggestion in memory of Mr Allan Gratrix.


Members of the community were asked to note that Mr Gratrix’s funeral would be held on Monday 21 November at 10.00am at Gilroes.  Everyone was welcome to the reception afterwards at the Thurnby Lodge Community Centre.


There were no apologies for absence and no declarations of interest were made.



The Action Log of the Meeting held on 30 June 2016 is attached at Appendix A and Members are asked to confirm it as an accurate record. Any update on actions taken since the last meeting will be reported at the meeting.


The Action Log from the previous meeting held 30 June 2016 was confirmed as a correct record.



An update will be provided on the Transforming Neighbourhood Services Programme.


Shilen Pattni, the Area Development Manager, provided an update on the Transforming Neighbourhood Services programme, which was taking place across the North East area of Leicester. He thanked everyone who had submitted comments during the consultation. Over 1400 responses had been received. The responses would be collated and final proposals would be brought back to a future community meeting.


Councillors gave their assurances that they would try their best to keep the Ocean Road Community Centre open, but ultimately it would not be their decision.



Highways officers will give an update on highways issues in the Ward.


Attendees were asked to note an update on highway issues, given by Robert Bateman, Team Leader (Highways and Traffic Design). The update included the following:


·      Scraptoft Lane/Bowhill Road junction – in response to concerns about the accident history and safety issues at the junction, a full accident study would be carried out. 


·      Repairs to the steps near the Thurncourt Road shops – this was part of a 5 week programme. The programme was on schedule and repairs were expected to be carried out very soon.


·      Request for a pedestrian crossing at Willowbrook School – a pedestrian survey had been carried out. The results of the survey would be submitted, along with others, to the City Mayor for consideration.  Councillor Newcombe stressed the need for urgent action to be taken there.


Attendees reported problems with parking at Willowbrook and Thurnby Lodge Primary School; this included people parking on the pedestrian crossing at Thurnby Lodge.  The Police responded that they could address the issue of parking on zig zag lines, but if there were no double yellow lines or parking restrictions, it was very difficult for Civil Enforcement Officers to issue parking tickets.


·      Bollards outside the Youth and Community Centre on Thurncourt Road – it was expected that these would be installed by early December and would stop vehicles being driven onto the grass.  A suggestion was made that trees should be planted instead, as they were on Colchester Road. The Highways Officer responded that the planting of trees there was considered to be a safety hazard.


Members of the public raised further concerns and comments, which included the following:


·      Strong concerns were expressed relating to speeding vehicles on Thurncourt Road. Tragically, there had been a recent fatal accident there near to Brooke Road. The Chair said that the problem had been raised with Highways officers and the City Mayor and there was an ongoing petition requesting traffic calming on Thurncourt Road. This would be submitted to a future council meeting. 


·      A resident asked whether a grassy area at the top of Kirkwall Crescent could be slabbed.  Action: Team Leader, (Highways and Design) to investigate further.


·      A pedestrian crossing was needed, as a priority between Colchester Road and the Trocedero. Pupils for the Humberstone schools tended to cross the road at this point.  Action: Team Leader, (Highways and Design) to investigate further.

·      There were problems with restrictions there. Parking enforcement was very difficult where there were no restrictions.



Housing officers will give an update on housing issues in the Thurncourt Ward.


Andy East, Neighbourhood Housing Team Leader provided an update on housing issues in the ward. Attendees were asked to note:


·      It was expected that work on the parking schemes on Bowhill Grove and Roborough Green would start early December. There would also be Highways funded parking bays by the shops at the bottom of Bowhill Grove.


·      The second phase of security lights installation at bungalows on Ocean Road and Homestone Gardens had started.  Any money saved because some residents did not want the security lighting would be used on other projects.


·      Some projects were being brought forward for earlier action, due to the anticipated reductions in the 2017/18 budget.


·      A resident reported that there was a recurring problem with the lighting on the alley way at the side of the Co-operative Store on Thurncourt Road. A technician, sent to repair the lights had told the resident that LED lights were needed.  Action: The Neighbourhood Housing Team Leader to raise this issue.


·      Residents reported being intimidated and distressed because of anti- social behaviour outside the Thurncourt Road shops. Youths were also getting into the flats above the shops and committing acts of anti-social behaviour there. Action: The Neighbourhood Housing Team Leader to check the security door to the flats.


The Police responded to complaints about anti-social behaviour during their update later on in the meeting.



The City Warden will give an update on issues in the Thurncourt Ward.


There was no update on local enforcement issues as the City Warden was not present.



Officers from Leicestershire Police will be at the meeting to provide an update on police issues in Thurncourt Ward.


Attendees received an update from PC425 Ben Orton; details of this is attached to the back of this action log.


·      Issues with vehicles being driven recklessly and suspected of involvement in drug use - PC Orton asked that if people saw vehicles driven by youths and the behaviour  seemed out of place or suspicious, to try to make a note of the vehicle registration number and to contact the Police.


·      Time switches – as Winter was drawing in and it was getting dark early, PC Orton asked people to consider using timer switches so that lights could be switched on when occupiers were out. These were a good inexpensive crime prevention device.


·      Vehicle crime – people were reminded not to leave valuables in the car, including the glove box as this was one of the first places that criminals looked.


·      PC Orton recommended the use of door chains in the event of any would be distraction burglars.


·      PC Orton said that the concerns about anti social behaviour and parking, as raised earlier in the meeting, had been taken on board.  An obstruction caused by a vehicle was a Police matter, but they had to identify the driver and give him/her a ticket. The case would then go to the Crime Prosecution Service.  Civil Enforcement Officers dealt with other breaches of parking regulations and could issue a parking ticket.  The Police had requested double yellow lines on streets within the wards so that where there were vehicles in breach of parking restrictions, the Civil Enforcement Officers would be able to take punitive action.


·      There had been recent incidents of anti-social behaviour in the Thurnby Lodge Community Centre recently which had been dealt with by the Police. Culprits had been banned from the Centre and their parents were spoken to.  Police patrols in the area had also been increased.  The Chair said that CCTV was needed in the centre. Action: The Area Development Manager to investigate further.



Councillors are reminded that under the Council’s Code of Conduct they should declare any interest they may have in budget applications.


An update on the Ward Community Budget will be provided at the meeting.


Laura Burt, the Community Engagement Officer gave an update on the Ward Community Meeting Budget. A copy of the budget sheet is attached at the back of the action log.




The Chair announced that the Christmas lights on Thurncourt Road would be switched on at 6.40pm on Friday 25 November.  Gifts for local children would be distributed.




The meeting closed at 7.45 pm.