Agenda and minutes

Braunstone Park & Rowley Fields Community Meeting - Thursday, 21 April 2022 6:30 pm

Venue: BRITE Centre, Braunstone Avenue, Leicester, LE3 1LE

Contact: Anita Clarke, Community Engagement Officer (tel: 0116 454 6576) (e-mail:  Jessica Skidmore, Democratic Support Officer (Tel: 0116 454 2623) (Email:

No. Item



Councillors will elect a Chair for the meeting.


The Chair will introduce those present and make any necessary announcements.


The Chair and any other Councillors who are present will make any declarations of interest as required by the Councillors’ Code of Conduct.


Councillor Singh Johal as Chair welcomed everybody to the meeting and all present introduced themselves.


A declaration of interest was made by Councillor Singh Johal, that his father owned an allotment in Rowley Fields however he retained an open mind for the purpose of discussion of the business on the agenda.




Apologies for absence were received from Councillor Dr Barton.



The Action Log for the last meeting, held on 18 November 2019, is attached for information and discussion.


Action log of 18th November 2019 agreed.


The Chair noted it had been a long period of time since the last meeting held on 18th November 2019 and asked that only current issues be brought to the meeting.



Ward Councillors will provide an update on local ward issues


Councillor Singh Johal reported local concerns over the Santander Cycle stand on Heyworth Road. The stand was originally thought to have been proposed for the pavement but was later built on the road junction with plastic bollards. Action: That highways team officers investigate concerns and look to suspended use of this stand until further consideration of its relocation.


Concerns around a dismantled caravan left on Lindsay Road. Action: The City Warden to investigate the concern about Lindsay Road.




The City Warden will give an update on issues in the Ward.


Matt Davinson (City Warden) introduced himself and reminded attendees of his role and responsibilities.


It was noted that a new mobile application, OneClean, had been developed to assist residents to directly report issues in the area to the Warden’s office.


The City Warden briefly outlined current issues in the area, including fly tipping and illegal dumping outside of the recycling centre on Narborough Road and it was advised that a CCTV camera would be installed to target and identify offenders.


Concerns were raised about glass being present on streets around bus stops and schools. The City Warden recommended that concerns be reported to the City Warden’s office or through the OneClean app.


It was noted that contact with the City Wardens was not restricted to the app and they could be contacted directly by calling the Council or through Customer Services.


A resident brought up issues with litter and remains of a shed beside Wyatt Road. It was advised that the land belonged to the Housing Department and would be cleared in due course.


The Chair reported that residents had asked to remove a waste bin on Roundhay Road.


ACTION: That City Wardens/Cleaning Services officers arrange for the bin to be removed from Roundhay Road and potentially relocated to Braunstone Lane bus shelter near Meadwell Road.






Highways Officers will give an update on highways issues in the ward.


Active Transport Manager, Andy Salkeld was welcomed to the meeting to provide a verbal presentation on the Santander Cycle Share Scheme.


Regarding the scheme, the following points were noted:


·       Currently there were 36 cycle docking stations across the city, with another 15/16 being added with an aim for 70+ by the end of the year.

·       Roughly 500 bikes were available.

·       Three stations were located in Braunstone. Suggestions were being taken for new locations for docking stations.

·       Regarding concerns about the docking station on Hayworth Road, it was noted the location was chosen due to the availability of street lighting and the powerline access. Other reasons for the location choice were due to concerns of Anti-Social Behaviour. The station was no larger than a car.

·       ACTION: Concerns about the location being on the corner of a junction would be taken back to Highways and considered.

·       The cycle scheme was noted to be low in cost and producing zero emissions.

·       Members paid 60p for the first 20 minutes, then 5p for every extra minute, this was more affordable than running a car or taking a bus for transport. Non-members paid £1.60 for the first 20 minutes, that enabled travel over 2-4km. All users were required to sign up online.

·       When fully charged, the bikes could travel a distance of 30-40 miles.

·       Businesses such as the NHS, Leicester University and Samworth had membership schemes available for staff and provided discounts and low tariff memberships.

·       Dedicated teams ensured the regular cleaning and maintenance of the cycles and docking stations.

·       There was little to no risk of theft, as the docking stations locked the cycles in, and they could only be removed through booking and paying. The cycles were noted to have a tracking device.

·       All bikes had power assisted pedalling, ensuring low effort and ease for people of all ages to ride.


Residents expressed concern about the speed of Traffic on Narborough Road and enquired about traffic controlling methods available.


ACTION: That concerns about speeding traffic would be reported to the City Highways team to investigate.



Councillors are reminded that under the Council’s Code of Conduct they should declare any interest they may have in budget applications.


An update will be given on the Ward Community Budget. A summary of grant applications submitted for consideration since the last meeting is attached.


The Community Engagement Officer provided an update on the Ward Community Budget.


It was noted that 7 applications had been supported with a total of £5418 being allocated. The remaining balance to support other projects was confirmed as £12582.


One of the supported applicants, Angels and Monsters, who worked with teens and parents to provide advice, support, and educational courses, presented details of their work to those present and stated how the grant had helped fund a sensory room and a charity free shop for parents.



Leicestershire Police will be attending the meeting to provide an update on police issues in the Ward.


It was noted that there was no-one in attendance for this item.


Councillors and residents discussed issues in the ward which included the following:


·       Anti-social behaviour of motorcyclists on the Great Central and nearby residential streets had been reported to the police on 101 on various occasions with no response. It was noted that when reporting issue on the police website, a response was received, and issues had been resolved. ACTION: Residents encouraged to report concerns through the Police website where possible.

·       There were opportunities to meet the local policing team throughout the year, the next being on 25th April at 3pm at Braunstone Park Car Park. Further meetings would be advertised online on the Facebook group page.

·       Concerns raised over Anti-Social Behaviour and drug related issues on Narborough Road, and fear that vulnerable people could be targeted. Residents were encouraged to report their concerns direct to the Police to investigate and take appropriate action.


ACTION: That the Ward Community Engagement Officer take steps to ensure that representatives from the local police and local housing team are invited to attend the next Ward Community meeting to address ward related concerns.





There being no other business, the meeting closed at 7:54pm.