Agenda and minutes

Evington Community Meeting - Thursday, 25 July 2019 6:30 pm

Venue: Coleman Neighbourhood Centre, Balderstone Close, Leicester, LE5 4ES

Contact: Ward Community Engagement Officers: Angela Martin (tel: 0116 454 6571, email: )  Aqil Sarang, Democratic Support Officer (tel: 0116 454 5591) (e-mail:

No. Item



Councillors will elect a Chair for the meeting.


The Chair will introduce those present and make any necessary announcements.


The Chair and any other Councillors who are present will make any declarations as required by the Councillors’ Code of Conduct.


Councillor Hunter as Chair led on introductions




There were no apologies for absence.


It was noted that although the Housing Update was not on the agenda for the meeting Andy East, the Neighbourhood Housing Team Leader, had provided an update following actions raised at the previous meeting (attached).


ACTION LOG pdf icon PDF 218 KB

The action log from the meeting held on 14 March 2019 is attached for information and discussion.



The action log from the meeting held on 14 March 2019 was noted.



Councillors will provide an update on ward related matters.


Councillors thanked residents for their support and re-election as Ward Councillors.


It was noted that the Pay and Display Parking machine on Coleman Road was part of a pilot that the Council had deployed. It was fitted with options to pay by card, if it was successful more of these machines would be introduced around the city.


Traffic calming measure were being considered for Goodwood Road, Greenacre Drive and Coleman Road.


Work on Downing Drive had been completed and further roads around Judge Meadow School and The City of Leicester were being looked into to improve traffic issues around the area.


Residents were reminded that these areas would be looked into once schools reopened to get a better scope of the issues and if there were to be changes made it would go out to consultation prior to any changes being undertaken.


Anti-Social Behaviour (ASB) had decreased significantly across the ward.



An Officer from the Highways Team will provide an update on highways matters in the ward.


Robert Bateman from the Highways Team was in attendance and provided an update on highways matters within the ward.


Following actions at the previous meeting, it was noted that:


·      Bollards had been put in place on Church Road to make the narrow footpath safer.

·      Chicanes were also being considered on Church Road to help with traffic calming measures.

·      Living Streets were working with both primary and secondary schools to encourage students to walk. This was helping bring the number of students travelling to school by car down.

·      A camera car has been introduced to enforce the Zig Zag road markings outside of the schools around the city.


Residents shared their concerns with Parents parking on Spencefield Lane whilst on the school run. It was noted that the parking on grass verges had decreased following work carried out. However, the parking was still causing difficulties for residents trying to get in or out of their properties.


It was suggested that the Camera car should visit the schools around the area around the Spencefield Lane area and enforce parking rules.


Although Parking Enforcement Officers were present in the area residents were concerned with the number of tickets that were being issued. It was noted that this information could be made available. ACTION: Ward Community Engagement Officer to liaise with resident and share information on tickets issued.





Officers from the Local Policing Unit will be at the meeting to provide an update on police issues in Evington Ward.



Sergeant Colgate was in attendance in the absence of the local Neighbourhood Officer PC Carl Walsh. Residents were reminded that crime statistics were provided in the Evington Echo and also distributed at the meeting (attached).


It was noted that:

·      Complexes on Ethel Road were being rectified through multi agency work.

·      Humberstone Park and Evington Park were reported as hot spots where there were anti-social behaviour (ASB) activities that the police were dealing with. Parks and Open Spaces had also been made aware of the issues.

·       There was a rise in car theft and burglaries for vehicle keys. It was noted that this was not unique to the ward and was an issue across the city. Residents were encouraged not to leave keys close to their home entrance.


Residents from the estate behind the Tesco on Ethel Road reported continuous nuisance from young people. This was resulting in damages to their property and risks to their personal safety.



The City Warden will give an update on issues in the Evington Ward.



Nicole Powell the City Warden was in attendance at the meeting and provided an update.


It was noted that the City Warden had received 36 complaints, 3 dog Fouling and 16 fly tipping matters. For the team to take any action they would require evidence, residents were encouraged to report any environmental issues to the City Wardens Team.


The fly tipping around the Tesco area had reduced as a result of the new Pod Camera installation.


Councillors suggested using the Love Leicester app as it was the most effective means of getting swift responses.



Councillors are reminded that under the Council’s Code of Conduct they should declare any interest they may have in budget applications.


An update will be given on the Ward Community Budget.




A total of 20 applications had been received to date. Of the applications received 2 had been deferred, 2 had been withdrawn, there were 8 that councillors were minded supporting, 5 that were not supported and 3 that were awaiting either assessment or a funding decision.


It was noted that the Ward Community Engagement Officer could be contacted for support with the application process.






It was noted that St Denys Church would be applying for the Ward Community Budget as it would be celebrating its 800th birthday. It will be running a range of activities for all ages for community engagement including a performance of The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe.


There being no further items of urgent business the meeting closed at 7.30pm.