Agenda and minutes

Western Community Meeting - Tuesday, 22 March 2016 7:00 pm

Venue: Braunstone Frith Recreation Centre, Sharman Crescent, Leicester LE3 6NW

Contact: Laura Burt, Community Engagement Officer Tel 0116 4541876. Email  Julie Harget, Democratic Support Officer: Tel: 0116 4546357. Email:

No. Item



The Chair will introduce those present and make any necessary announcements.


The Chair and any other Councillors who are present will make any declarations as required by the Councillors’ Code of Conduct.


Councillor Cole, elected as Chair, welcomed everyone and led introductions.


Apologies were received from local residents - Doreen Beezley and Nev Turner.


There were no declarations of interest.


ACTION LOG pdf icon PDF 84 KB

The Action Log from the meeting held on 8 December 2015 is attached for information and discussion.


The Action Log from the meeting held on 8 December 2015 was agreed as a correct record.


·         It was noted that traffic issues at Letchworth Road had been raised with the City Mayor.

·         Councillors were waiting to hear from the City Mayor to join them for a walk about in several areas of the Western Ward including Christ the King Catholic Primary School. The Police requested to be informed when the date was confirmed.



An update will be provided on the Transforming Neighbourhood Services programme within the North West area of the city.


Adrian Wills, Head of Neighbourhood Services gave a presentation regarding ‘Transforming Neighbourhood Services’ which affected several Council buildings across the city including libraries, community/ youth centres, housing offices and more. All to note:


·         A review of how neighbourhood services would be run was in progress and also, the plans to work with local people and community organisations to deliver effective joined up services.

·         Some options included; offering buildings for ‘community asset transfer’ (whereby community groups would run/ manage the building), merging services into shared buildings, self service facilities and reducing the number of buildings owned by the Council.

·         The current process for community groups to apply for community asset transfers was explained.

·         The Transforming Neighbourhood Services proposed changes for the North West Area leaflet was distributed at the meeting. This included a consultation form which would be open until 11 April 2016 and it was encouraged for residents to submit their views via the form or online.


Residents’ concerns:

·         It was requested for Adrian to find out about the latest situation with empty buildings in Western Park including the Eco-house. Adrian would take this back to his team.

·         Councillors requested further information on the running costs for centres and also accessibility for vulnerable/ disabled persons. Adrian agreed to ensure the Councillors had a copy of the packs disclosing this information, it was reported to also be available online. In regards to accessibility, Adrian reported that equality impact assessments would be carried out.

·         Joe Carroll from the Braunstone Frith Recreation Centre requested to meet Adrian to further discuss the venues future. Councillors requested to be kept up to date with this meeting.

·         A local resident noted that certain groups such as Super-trooper girls may struggle to find a venue. Adrian was happy to talk to the group if they required.



A housing update will be provided on any housing issues within the Western Ward.


Marie Murray, Area Manager for Housing was present at the meeting and gave an update on the works which had taken place in this financial year.


The below works were in progress:

·         The Housing Transformation review was currently underway and implementation of changes would take place in August/September. One of the changes would be the separation of Responsive Repairs and Tenancy Management Functions.

·         Over the next few months, as part of Transforming Neighbourhood Services in the area, there would be a greater emphasis on ‘channel shift’ – different ways of accessing services.

·         Work was currently taking place to relieve the parking situation around the Aikman Avenue flats.

·         Due to further parking requests around Aikman Avenue this could result in a tenant consultation late 2016 and possibly looking at further improvements for 2017/18 if funding became available.

·         New Parks - A cladding cleaning programme was currently in place.


Next year some of the housing works in the ward would include:

·         Landscaping on Tatlow Road

·         Flexi paving – Kerrial Road / Dominion Road

·         Recycling bays – Aikman Avenue Flats.

·         Parking Bays – Bateman Road.

·         Grounds maintenance at Mossgate.


Councillor Unsworth requested the drainage at Aikman Avenue flats to be looked into. Marie reported that this would be the repairs team.



A City Warden’s update will be provided relating to environmental issues within the Western Ward.


Richard Sutton, City Warden for the Western Ward gave an update on the activities and enforcement City Wardens had been involved in. Residents had the following concerns:


·         It was requested for street sweepers to remove litter from grit bins. Richard would talk to Cleansing services.

·         It was noted that the car park on the side of Merry Monarch had several Anti-Social Behaviour (ASB) incidents and littering concerns. Police were already looking into this and it was not part of the current Western ward.

·         Councillor Cole requested the City Warden to look into fly-tipping issues at several properties along Kemp Road.



A police and crime update will be provided on issues relating to the Western Ward.


Sergeant Andy Stevens who was now the local Sergeant for the Western Ward reported on Police activity in the ward since the last meeting. All to note:


·         Three thefts from unattended motor vehicles took place in the past 4-5 weeks.

·         As a result of a spree of burglary non-dwellings in January/ February, a male and female had been caught and imprisoned, since then no further reports.

·         Aikman Avenue – it was noted that two people had shone laser pens at a Police aircraft, causing danger.

·         Since the closure of Western golf course there had been issues of motorcycle thefts. The Police had now recovered several bikes and returned them to owners or crushed.

·         A resident reported concerns from the Glenfield side of the golf course that the fencing had been cut and people still entering.

·         The mobile beat bus was up and running and Police would soon be doing street surgeries for crime prevention.

·         There was an ongoing issue with tag graffiti.

·         In regards to parking issues outside schools, Police had plans to have an officer present at schools where possible.

·         Police encouraged residents to contact them on 101 with any crime information.



Councillors are reminded that under the Councillors’ Code of Conduct they should declare any interest they may have in budget applications.


Members of the public will receive an update on the Community Ward budget.


Information relating to the budget is attached in Appendix B.



Randeep Singh Mattu – Ward Community Engagement Officer (WCEO) gave an update on the Ward Community Budget. The following applications were considered:


1623: The Wednesday Club applied for £350 towards transport for elderly people to the Wednesday club – grant of £350 approved in full.


1635: Letchworth Area Watch requested £500 to support bands on Western Park – grant of £500 approved in full.


1640: Fitness in Schools requested £1,000 support towards February and April half term break soccer school – grant of £1,000 approved in full.


5146: Sensational Vibes Youth and Community Development Group requested £1,350 towards a Carnival Arts project – application not supported.


5150: African Catholic Chaplaincy Leicestershire applied for £800 for cultural and educational trips – application not supported.


1696: Ndi Igbo applied for £1,500 support towards the IRI-YI (New Yam) Festival 2016 – grant of £750 approved.


1721: Kingswood Area Neighbourhood Watch applied for £250 to hold a street party (Queen’s 90th birthday) – grant of £250 approved in full.


1729: St Annes Community Church Hall requested £4,000 towards building an accessible toilet and baby changing facility – grant of £4,000 approved in full.


1743: Westfield Road Neighbours Street party applied for £582.40 to hold a street party for the Queens 90th birthday celebrations – application not supported.


Applicant presentations:

·         Brian Hookway spoke on behalf of application 1640 ‘half term break fitness in schools’.

·         Walter Magulike from application Ndi Igbo Leicestershire presented information on the Nigerian festival ‘Iri-Yi’ which was held annually and had been a success integrating communities and showcasing cultural heritage.

·         Cathy Harrell from St Annes Community Church discussed fundraising activities the group had been involved in, in order to rebuild the side of the church building which also required an accessible toilet.




The meeting closed at 9.38pm.