Agenda and minutes

Troon Community Meeting - Tuesday, 30 July 2019 6:30 pm

Venue: The Emerald Centre, 450 Gipsy Lane, Leicester LE5 0TB

Contact: Laura Burt, Ward Community & Engagement Officer (tel: 0116 454 1876) (e-mail:  Elaine Baker, Democratic Support Officer (tel: 0116 454 6355) (e-mail:

No. Item



Councillors will elect a Chair for the meeting.


The Chair will introduce those present and make any necessary announcements.


The Chair and any other Councillors who are present will make any declarations of interest as required by the Councillors’ Code of Conduct.


Councillor Joel in the Chair. 

The Chair introduced herself and welcomed all present.  At the invitation of the Chair, Councillor Cank and the officers present introduced themselves

No interests were declared




No apologies for absence were received



The Action Log for the last meeting, held on 5 February 2019, is attached for information and discussion


Item 63 “City Warden Update”

All to note that Jethro Swift, the City Warden, is no longer working in this Ward.  His replacement has not been appointed yet.



Ward Councillors will provide an update on local ward issues


All to note:

·           The main issues being reported to the Ward Councillors are problems regarding parking, noise and other nuisance from educational establishments.  Meetings have been held to discuss this and some progress made.  Two planning applications for an education facility in Thurmaston Lane have been withdrawn, but problems remain, which are being monitored;

·           Bollards have been put up on Essex Road to stop pavement parking;

·           Patching work on roads in the Ward has started;

·           A meeting has been arranged between relevant parties in early September to discuss problems caused by lorries in Fairfax Road; and

·           A request has been made for the redundant bus shelters in Marston Road to be removed.



Leicestershire Police will be at the meeting to provide an update on police issues in the Ward


All to note:

·           Traffic and parking problems around schools are being experienced across the city, including Falcons Primary School and nearby religious establishments.  Alternative parking arrangements near Falcons Primary School during school hours are being considered;

·           A traffic operation has been undertaken in Hamilton, during which several penalty tickets were issued;

·           The Police are working with other agencies to enforce the double-yellow lines that have been put down on Thurmaston Road;

·           In relation to anti-social behaviour (ASB), focus is being given to knife crime, with daily patrols visiting hot spots and the anti-social behaviour car (a dedicated two-unit vehicle) visiting locations at core times.  Work also is done with other agencies, such as Housing officers in relation to ASB by Council tenants;

·           There has been no specific increase in core crimes; and

·           The Police and other agencies are aware of anti-social behaviour problems being experienced at Grosvenor Gate and are investigating what action can be taken.  However, as this is a private estate options (including those such as installing a key safe) may be limited.  A public right of way also crosses the estate, which needs to remain accessible.

Establishments in Thurmaston Road asked to assist the Police in encouraging people to park responsibly.

All encouraged to ring the Police when incidents are happening on either 101 or 999 as appropriate.  Even if the Police cannot attend the call will be logged.

Ward Councillors to work with the Police to see if anything can be done in relation to anti-social behaviour on Grosvenor Gate.



The City Warden will give an update on issues in the Ward


As a City Warden was unable to be at the meeting, no update was given.

City Warden to investigate:

·           Fly tipping along the driveway in Lydford Road to the rear of factories on the Barkby Road Industrial Estate and in the parking area behind the new houses on Barkby Road (between Dunbar Road and St Ives Road);

·           Orange recycling bags that are being left out in Holgate Close from Sunday night for collection on Thursday and are being blown about by the wind; and

·           Flyposting on railings in the Ward, (for example in Fairfax Road and at the bottom of Naseby Road).



Highways officers will be at the meeting to provide an update on highways issues in the Ward


All to note:

·           Marsh Close has been resurfaced and some work has been done in Ireton Avenue;

·           Bollards have been installed on Essex Road at the junctions with Hampden Road and Gipsy Lane as well as in Herongate Road;

·           In response to complaints received, it is hoped to install bollards at the junction of Gipsy Lane and Huntingdon Road;

·           It is proposed to introduce a 20mph zone in the Barkbythorpe Road area; and

·           A 20mph zone is proposed for the area around Sandfield Close Primary School.  It is hoped this can be introduced during the current financial year.

Highways officers to:

o    Advise how 20mph zones are policed;

o    Investigate reports of bushes covering two 30mph speed limit signs on Barkbythorpe Road;

o    Investigate reports that the signs for speed cameras cannot be seen at various points on Red Hill Way;

o    Consider whether a pedestrian crossing can be installed in Barkbythorpe Road and on Humberstone Lane near the Tesco Express shop;

o    Investigate reports of problems with traffic in the Portishead Road / Swainson Road area;

o    Investigate reports that parking on the corner of Wood Green Road and Wood Green Walk makes it difficult to see traffic when using that junction;

o    Investigate reports of problems with traffic and parking near Northfield House Primary School; and

o    Investigate what the piece of wood on the pavement at the junction of Fairfax Road and Essex Road is covering and take appropriate action.

Ward Councillors to find out what progress has been made with the proposed work on the underpass between Thurmaston Boulevard and Trevino Drive.

Ward Councillors to determine who owns the land adjacent to the pub near Sandfields School that previously has been used for parking and to consider how parking problems in that area can be addressed.



A Housing Officer will be at the meeting to provide an update on housing issues in the Ward


All to note:

·           Problems with anti-social behaviour by young people from Hamilton Academy who are Council tenants had reduced, but is increasing again.  Council Housing officers are working with the Police to combat anti-social behaviour;

·           Work is starting on introducing a scheme to subsidise dropped kerb installation to enable Council tenants to drive on to their property.  Any tenants interested in participating must ask the Council for permission to drop the kerb and to drive on to the front of their property.  They must also arrange for the hardstanding to be installed to the Council’s specification.  Disabled tenants will be prioritised for subsidies; and

·           Ideas for environmental improvements that will benefit tenants are being sought.  This can include such things as fencing, external lighting and landscaping and must benefit more than one tenancy.

All asked to report any problems of anti-social behaviour by young people from Hamilton Academy who are Council tenants to the Council’s Housing service.

Any Council tenants interested in participating in the subsidised dropped kerb scheme invited to contact Housing officers.

Council tenants invited to submit ideas for environmental improvements in the Ward for consideration.  Ideas from people who are not Council tenants can be submitted, but will have to be considered for funding from other sources, (for example, the Ward Community Budget).

Housing officers to ask the tenant in Victoria Road East whose tree is causing problems to attend to the matter.

Tenants experiencing problems in relation to privately rented properties advised to contact either the Ward Councillors, the Community Advice and Law Service (CALS), First Floor, Epic House, Charles Street, Leicester, LE1 3SH (tel: 0116 242 1120) or the Private Sector Housing team in the Council’s Housing service (tel: 0116 454 1008, e-mail: ).



Councillors are reminded that under the Council’s Code of Conduct they should declare any interest they may have in budget applications.


An update will be given on the Ward Community Budget


All to note that:

·           The opening balance in the Ward Community Budget fund was £18,000.  Following approval of applications for funding £17,320 remains for the current financial year; and

·           The noticeboards previously funded from the Ward Community Budget have been ordered and will be installed in the Ward shortly.




a)     Problems with Tree Roots in Huggett Close

Trees officers to look at problems occurring due to the roots of a tree for which the Council has responsibility coming up on a driveway on Huggett Close.


b)     Towers Park

Parks officers to take appropriate action following reports that the grass in Towers Park needs cutting and litter is accumulating round some benches.




The meeting closed at 8.05 pm