Agenda and minutes

Wycliffe Community Meeting - Monday, 23 April 2018 6:00 pm

Venue: Wesley Hall, 76 Hartington Road, Leicester, LE2 0GN

Contact: Anita Clarke, Ward Community Engagement Officer (tel: 0116 454 6576) (email:  Robert Parkinson, Democratic Support Officer (tel: 0116 454 3400) (email:

No. Item



The Chair will introduce those present and make any necessary announcements.


The Chair and any other Councillors who are present will make any declarations of interest as required by the Councillors’ Code of Conduct.


Councillor Dawood as Chair welcomed everyone and led introductions.


There were no apologies for absence.


There were no declarations of interest.



The Action Log for the last meeting, held on 29 January 2018, is attached for information and discussion.


Action Log of the last meeting agreed as correct.



Ward Councillors will provide an update on local ward issues


All to note:


Councillors fed back to the meeting about a Ward patch walk recently undertaken.  A further patch walk is planned.  Highways Officer will then consider what works can be recommended.


Councillor Aqbany reminded the meeting of his constituency surgery meetings, to be held in St Matthews on Wednesdays 10.30am-12.30pm.  Surgeries also will be held at the Highfields housing office when this opens.  Constituents are reminded that he can be contacted on 0116 454 6360.


Cllr Dawood informed the meeting that Goscote House will be decommissioned in preparation for demolition.  Although units of housing in the process will be lost, a new council owned housing company is expected to eventually offset this loss of housing   (See Item 7 on the Action Log for further information from a Housing Officer).



A representative from the Department of Work and Pensions will be at the meeting.


Two representatives from Leicester’s Job Centre+ informed the meeting of key points related to Universal Credit’s implementation.  All to note:


·           Universal Credit will be introduced in the city on 13 June 2018.

·           This benefit change will not impact all claimants initially, as it is a gradual change, starting with new claimants.  There will be a point where all claimants shall be transferred over to Universal Credit.

·           The six benefits which are replaced by Universal Credit will be income-related ESA and JSA, Income Support, Housing Benefit, Working Tax Credits, Child Tax Credits.  Child Benefit was clarified as remaining stand-alone.

·           Universal Credit will be paid in arrears on a monthly basis directly to the claimant.  Emergency financial support can be set-up, such as Housing Benefit being paid to the landlord if required, or moving to fortnightly payments.

·           Claimants will require three things to claim: a Bank Account, an email address and a telephone number.

·           Support is available for claimants if required e.g. provision of skills training, ESOL courses, and advice on budgeting.

·           Claiming will be online.  Certain aspects are offered face to face, such as meeting your appointed work coach.

·           This benefit will be based on earnings not hours as previously and will be adjusted using information from HMRC records.  The proportion of benefit which is removed whilst working will be less under Universal Credit than previously.

·           Every new claimant now will sign a claimant commitment, including hours available to work and a pledge to find that amount of work.


In response to a concern about potential increases in evictions under Universal Credit, all to note that this is not anticipated, as many landlords already let properties to benefit claimants.


All to note that further information for residents will be left at Wesley Hall for distribution.



Housing officers will attend the Ward meeting to discuss housing issues in the Ward.


All to note:


A Housing Officer explained that Goscote House will be demolished due to the high cost of necessary refurbishment.  All residents will be individually met to discuss future housing options.


All to note that from 6th July 2018 St Peters Housing Office will have closed, and that from 13th July residents should use the St Matthews Housing Office instead.


It is recognised that parking is an issue in the Ward, and it is hoped that this can be be looked into in the future.



The City Warden will give an update on issues in the Ward


Residents and groups were invited to let the City Wardens know of any environmental issues.



Officers from the Local Policing Unit will be at the meeting to provide an update on police issues in the Ward


All are reminded of the various ways of reporting crime at the time it happens e.g. website, social media and phone numbers.  Officers reported that:


·         Ward Anti-Social Behaviour is currently the lowest since November 2017.

·         Local Neighbourhood Officers are part of one of the largest teams in the city, and are spending more time working in the community.

·         Anti-Social Behaviour contracts are being enforced alongside the Crown Prosecution Service to ensure compliance.

·         Officers highlighted the single point of contact that each religious centre and school in the ward has been allocated.


Residents reminded of the need to report crime and Anti-Social Behaviour as soon as possible.



Councillors are reminded that under the Council’s Code of Conduct they should declare any interest they may have in budget applications.


An update on the Ward Community Budget will be provided at the meeting


The Ward Community Engagement Officer (WCEO) informed the meeting that since the last ward meeting, 5 applications had been received.  The closing budget for the financial year 2017/18 was £833, which rolls over into the next financial year’s budget.  A new round of applications had opened, residents encouraged to apply and reminded of the importance of mentioning ‘Wycliffe’ in community budget applications.


All to note that Angela Martin will be the new WCEO for this ward (, 0116 454 6571).




A). Financial support for Wesley Hall. 


Councillor Dawood reported that he had received a representation about proposed reductions in funding for the Wesley Hall.  Residents were encouraged to inform the Ward Councillors about their concerns related to potential funding cuts for the venue.  Ward Councillors to determine the position regarding funding of Wesley Hall.


B). Update on Highways. 


All to note:


Kashmir Road and Manitoba Road traffic regulation orders are being consulted on regarding restrictions near drop curbs to enable Biffa (the Council’s waste collection contractor) to access community bin stores.


Melbourne Road one way traffic initiative may not solve resident’s concerns.  Further consultation consideration is required.


Highways Officers are investigating the options to change the legal standing of the school entrance road markings to enable the issuing of Fixed Penalty Notices.


Ward and Community Engagement Officer asked to find out what action had been taken in relation to a petition submitted a few years ago concerning a one way traffic scheme in Maynard Road/Keythorpe Street.


Highways Officers asked to investigate works in Sherborne Street.


Funding was available for a one way traffic scheme in Mere Road.  Proposals were displayed at the meeting.  The Meeting was supportive of the proposals in principle.  This support will be included in responses to consultation on the proposed scheme.


Highways to review resident’s concerns about advisory disabled parking outside a home.  Officer will consider changing the status of disabled parking bays to make them legally enforceable.


A review of the future necessity for some of the traffic calming bollards on certain roads in the Ward will be undertaken by Highways Officers.




The meeting closed at 7:18pm.