Agenda and minutes

Wycliffe Community Meeting - Monday, 6 August 2018 6:00 pm

Venue: Wesley Hall, 76 Hartington Road, Leicester, LE2 0GN

Contact: Angela Martin, Ward Community Engagement Officer (tel: 0116 454 6571 email: )  Aqil Sarang, Democratic Support Officer (tel: 0116 454 5591 email: )

No. Item



The Chair will introduce those present and make any necessary announcements.


The Chair and any other Councillors who are present will make any declarations of interest as required by the Councillors’ Code of Conduct.


Cllr Dawood – Chair, welcomed everyone and led introductions.


There were no declarations of interest.




There were no apologies for absence.



The Action Log for the last meeting, held on 23 April 2018, is attached for information and discussion.


The Action Log from the previous meeting was agreed and noted, subject to a spelling mistake Sherborne Street to Shelborne Street.


Further to action point 75 on Universal Credit, residents requested training as they are unable to access the internet or are unable to use the computer. Action: Community Engagement officer to investigate online applications support.


Further to action point 80 (A) “Financial Support For Wesley Hall” Ward Councillors undertook to keep residents advised of the situation.



Ward Councillors will provide an update on local ward issues


·      The Ward Community Engagement Officer to circulate results from recent patch walks carried out. Results from the patch walks will be sent out via post or email. Action: Ward Community Engagement Officer

·      All to note that as a number of previous meetings have predominantly been based on traffic issues. Future meetings will focus on different topics.



Officers from the Local Policing Unit will be at the meeting to provide an update on police issues in the Ward


PC David Barber gave an update on local policing issues in the ward. All to note:

·      More people are now using online reporting to report incidents to the Police. Although the number of call takers has increased, the Police still recommend going online and using the Police website or social media pages for public queries. 999 was still the emergency contact number.


·      A number of people had been arrested for anti-social behaviour offences on the St Peters Estate.


·      Spinney Hill Park has had a recent rise in incidents as a result of children and groups of young people gathering there in groups while on school holidays.


·      -PC Barber reminded residents to be more vigilant with mobile phones, jewellery and expensive bikes whilst on the park.

·      In response to concerns raised by residents on policing around the Spinney Hill Park area around anti-social behaviour, the Police assured residents that there were dedicated patrols on the park.

·      CCTV is not operational on the park, but a mobile camera can be put there when needed.

·      A Police Problem Solving Plan.

·      CCTV had limited success in providing evidence of activities such as drug dealing but could help deter muggings on the park. However, Data Protection issues with the installation of CCTV on the park must be considered.

·      Certain areas of vegetation could be cut down with extended grass cutting areas to help open up the park and help make the park look better. Action: Ward Community Engagement Officer to pass to relevant service area.



The City Warden will give an update on issues in the Ward


No update was provided as the City Warden was unable to attend the meeting.


Concerns were raised with the increase in food outlets within the ward which has resulted in the increase of rodents. Councillors confirmed that there are steps residents can take to enforce cleaner streets but ultimately the residents have a responsibility, residents were advised to use the online complaints procedure. Action: City Warden to liaise with businesses in the ward.



An update will be given on housing issues in the Ward.


No update was given as the Housing Officer was unable to attend the meeting.



A representative of Healthwatch Leicester and Leicestershire will be at the meeting


Gillian Jillett of HealthWatch Leicester and Leicestershire gave an introduction on HealthWatch. All to note:


HealthWatch is an independent consumer champion for health and social care in local areas, supporting consumer interests of those using health and social care services across Leicester and Leicestershire.

·      Although HealthWatch was unable to deal with individual cases it could direct people to local services and share information on what services are available.

·      Surveys were being carried out on GP surgeries as it is recognised that limited access to GP appointments is a prominent issue.

·      People were reminded that many GP surgeries have different health care practitioners they may see when the GP is not available.

·      HealthWatch are also reviewing maternity services, a number of services across the country are facing closure under the Sustainability and Transformation Plans for the NHS.

·      Volunteer opportunities are also available for those interested in in taking part in Health and Social Care opportunities. Contact details are available online.



a)    An update and feedback will be given


b)    Further discussion on the Mere Road One Way proposal


Traffic and Highways Officers updated residents on the Highways Patch Walk held 9 May 2018. Further information will be made available when the results of the patch walk have been fully assessed.


All to note that this would be the final meeting where the main topic of discussion is Highways as there had been several full discussions on these items at recent meetings.


Highways Update:

·      Shelborne Street surface defect left by Severn Trent Water has been repaired.

·      Hartington Road and Chastsworth Street resurfacing upcoming.

·      Kashmir Road new layout will result in an addition of 12 more parking spaces. Work is due to commence from 8 October 2018

·      Work on the St Peters Estate will soon commence where there will be a few more parking spaces created around Framland House.


·      Discussions were continuing on the feasibility on advisory disabled parking spaces being made mandatory. With over 1000 spaces in Leicester this would be difficult to enforce.

·      As the bays currently were advisory no enforcement could be taken against drivers that parked in the bays. Blue Badge holders were eligible to use a disabled parking bay but a valid Blue Badge had to be displayed.

·      New regulations allowed Councils to introduce a permit scheme for disabled parking bays but more discussion would be needed. 

·      Concerns were raised with outdated parking spaces where the blue badge holder was no longer present.

·      The Officers reminded residents that it was the responsibility of the badge holder to inform the Council of any change of circumstances.


Traffic and Highways officers to investigate faded lines on disabled parking bays and an incident of a bay being repainted by the home owner with added space on Florence Road.



The Traffic and Highways Officers gave an update on Mere Road and the potential change to one way system. All to note:

·      There has been no change with the plans from previously.

·      Stage one consultation has been carried out with no negative responses.

·      It has now been submitted to the director and is now being considered to give access to cyclists through a no entry sign in to one way streets.

·      Stage two of this consultation will take place with residents that will be affected by the changes at the end of August.

·      Melbourne Road is staying how it is, bit with potentially more traffic filtering onto there as a result of the one way system on Mere Road. Parking spaces and footpaths may receive an alteration to try to ease traffic on Melbourne Road and to help the free flow of busses and traffic by allowing vehicles to park partly on the pavement.

·      It is hoped that these changes will be implemented by the end of this financial year.

·      Traffic and Highways Officers to keep the Vulcan Road Association (VRA) informed of the progress.



Councillors are reminded that under the Council’s Code of Conduct they should declare any interest they may have in budget applications.


An update on the Ward Community Budget will be provided at the meeting


All to note:

·      The Ward Community Budget for this financial year was £18,883 with 10% being carried over from the financial year before.

·      So far £8,275 has been awarded leaving the balance at £10,558.

·      Anyone applying for funding from the Ward Community Budget must be able to prove their expenditure and complete an evaluation form or no money would be paid.

·      Councillors will support local projects where they can, although during the summer period they expect a higher volume of applications.




·      All to note that The City Warden had advised it could be possible for leaflets to be printed in various languages with information in regards to fly tipping and the Council service for the removal of bulky waist. An Application for funding from Ward Community Budget could be considered if appropriate. Action: City Warden.

·      All to note the VRA offer to help other areas to establish their own residents’ associations. 




The meeting closed at 7:15pm.